Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

ode for another puff (2) - Summer

No, I haven’t had a smoke. Getting by without is mostly okay. I’ve been with smokers and withstood the urge to ask them for a cigarette or even a puff. I have survived the terraces, patios, sidewalk cafés, parks and my balcony by mostly avoiding them this year. All in all, it hasn’t been so difficult. Now I’m wondering if my lifelong love of these places was always linked to smoking. Did I go so often to these places because I wanted a smoke? Geeees. That’s scary. I’ve also stopped drinking alcohol. No, that one is easy. It’s just… after a few glasses of rosé, I give into impulse.

However, the desire to smoke persists, and I’ve found yet another hurdle to jump. The weather! I love summer so much. I love hot, muggy, sticky weather, and everything else associated with it: hot scalding sun, too much breeze or lack of and even lightening storms. That’s really ironic-- isn´t it? -- since I’m living in far Northern France. Well, honestly, for me, that hot, heavy sultry air is smoking weather. I crave that puff with a cold drink, under that umbrella, in that comfy deck chair. It’s sooo gd good. Whew! I have wanted to buy a pack all day. Just one! It’s Sunday! For old time sake! Blah, blah, blah.
I got by this time. I breathe so much better now. I can climb stairs without losing my breath and that wheezing cough is gone. Later! Rontay

No comments:

Post a Comment