Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

French Resolutions


This year my resolutions are strong and I have a thirst for change.  Honestly, I haven't written many posts for this blog for a few months for one simple reason.  I'm supposed to tell you wonderful stories about my life here, and since I really can't it's better for me not to write.  To be honest, I do not like Metz anymore.  I do not enjoy teaching English to people who do not wish to learn it.  Moreover, I have no desire to go out in this town anymore.  I know all the streets, shops, restaurants, cafés.  Even meeting new people here brings me no new pleasure.  It's drab routine in a climate where it rains everyday and gets dark at 4pm.  Believe me,  I wish I were not announcing this awful fact, but it's true.

My Christmas break has served me to realize I absolutely must have change, perhaps even drastic change.  For the last couple weeks, I have been working hard to get rid of as many possessions as I can.  So far I've managed to throw out about half.  The destruction actually reinvigorates me.  Have any of you ever felt the pleasure of smashing a table because it's the only way to get it out of an apartment?  My goal is to get down to 5 or 6 boxes but I'm still too far away from that.  Few belongings brings freedom, and face it, you are only mobile when you're light.  I have handed in my notice to escape my apartment and soon plan to quit every single one of my jobs.  Sometimes it takes a leap of fate, a hail mary pass for a better life.  It's possible I'll have regrets.  I really hope not.  I never thought I would identify so much with Tracy Chapman when she sang "I want a ticket to anywhere!"

My life here will always be the same.  I can have the same jobs forever, live in the same flat, buy my groceries in the same supermarket, go to the same cinema.  I do have that security in this town. I acknowledge many people would love to have it.  I have a beautiful view of the cathedral from my window.  Yet, I cannot deal with tedium anymore.  Perhaps this is what is meant by provincial life.

It won't be easy nor swift.  I'm starting as of now.  So, my lesson for you today is, remember, nothing is quick in France.  Rental contracts are not easily broken.  You must give 90 days notice before you can leave an apartment.  Getting electricity, water, phone or internet service disconnected is a headache too.  In France you have contracts with them as well.  Banking is a huge mess. It's difficult to change banks since you are assigned to one particular local agency, the one in which you opened your account.  A Banque Populaire client may not deal with another branch of the same institution.  In some cases, contracts cannot be suspended.  Monthly deposits, bills and tax payments are almost always automatic transactions in France. In addition, as you may know, work is measured out from an end date backward here, not a starting date forward.  For example, when you teach a course they give you a contract with a set number of hours already planned out. After every class you cross out one day.  I suppose it does give job security to see clearly you have guaranteed work in May, but nowadays I tend to see it more like a prison sentence.  For each class I take on, I do time until I'm free from it.  This gives a very different feeling from creating something new and original step-by-step.

All in all, I'll be around Metz for many many more months, but I shall leave.  That day will be ever so sweet!  The big question is where to next?  That, my friends, I have not figured out.  Perhaps you can give me some tips. :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Master T,
    I keep on reading you for the past few years. I’ve read so much about this subject of being an expat in France that now I can say I know no more than in the beginning. I’ve left the States few months ago. I’m in Europe right now and in a short while I am planning to move to France, near Toulouse where an acquaintance promised me shelter. It will take a while until I’ll get my papers in order and eventually rent on my own. I don’t know about work, but I’ll try to volunteer first to help myself with my high school French. I don’t worry about that; I can read and understand 80% or more.
    So, I like the warm weather and it seems that down there could be a much better choice than Metz. You know better about job opportunities, but on the English expat forum they talk about having plenty of English tutoring clients there. I know everyone has their own experience.
    I hope that you will share your own search results that might give me more light about how things work down there.
    Cheers and a Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here I am in France MT. I am reading your tips about finding a job. Wish me luck!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it life in France or just Metz that you find tedious? Are you considering returning to the Sttes or relocating to another country in Europe...perhaps Asia?

    You realize that you are now obliged to keep us all posted on your progress, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lanewyorkaisenfrance. I'm not sure if it's Metz or France. I need to live in another part of France to compare. But it's definitely here. I think it's the size of the town, the climate (you wouldn't believe how bad it is), the monotony or habits of life, the lack of scope here etc. I haven't found anything yet, but I've not been looking too much. Sometimes the routine sucks me into it, which is one of the reasons I want to leave. But the plans are there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MT,
    I'm near Toulouse for alrealdy 2 weeks. It's boring and I can't find the city too exciting or interesting. I've lived in US as an expat all my adult life and now no place is exciting to me anymore. However I've chosen to retire in Europe and France is the the place because I speak the language. You mentioned teaching at the university. I'll try that but, you said that they don't pay unless you work somewhere else too. Could you explain that , please?
    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. People have told me there are lots of things to do in Toulouse and a lot of French people are moving there. Personally I don't know it at all. Give it a chance maybe you haven't found the magic yet. Well, I wrote a long post some time ago about teaching at the university. Read here: http://frenchiflyable.blogspot.fr/2011/02/teaching-english-in-france.html
    Take care and have fun in France!

    ReplyDelete