Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Becoming French




In the midst of 200 people from all over the world in a small parlour behind the prefecture de la moselle I officially became French yesterday, and got those precious identity papers in hand. Some were moved, others cried, still others cheered, and others were down right impatient as we had to wait as each name was called and then push our way through the mob to kiss a whole delegation of French government officials. I was just sooooo hot in there. It was a sauna. I learned mother France was honored to have me and had adopted me to be one of its children forever. Then we sang the Marseillaise, watched a movie of rights and obligations of being French, took an oath of allegiance and then were able to breathe some fresh air. Sarkozy wrote me a letter.

4 comments:

  1. hey big guy, congratulations brother!
    I thought you were already French citizen. all good now, I guess you don't have to worry about getting kicked out. can't wait to come to France next year. I'm in LA now, but I have double citizenship and residing in France will not be a problem. what an adventure and surprises ahead for me, I'm kind of scared.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous dude. If you can live in LA, you can survive anywhere, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the moment I am dreaming of! I hope to experience it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. This is the moment I have always dream of. I hope to know what it feels like one day.

    ReplyDelete